The Chefs Collaborative Team is pleased to announce a call for nominations for the Chefs Collaborative Sustainability Awards. Three different awards will recognize individuals who have played an exemplary role in advancing the Chefs Collaborative mission to promote a national network of chefs changing the sustainable food landscape. Awards will be presented on Tuesday, September 30, at the Chefs Collaborative Awards Lunch in Seattle.
Sustainer: This award will recognize a chef who has been both a great mentor and is a model to the culinary community through his/her purchases of seasonal, sustainable ingredients and the transformation of these ingredients into delicious food.
Pathfinder: This award will recognize a visionary working in the greater food community who has been a catalyst for positive change within the food system through efforts that go beyond the kitchen.
Foodshed Champion: In 2012, this award will recognize a producer in the Pacific Northwest. This award will recognize a food producer (farmer, fisher, artisanal producer) committed to working with chefs and who exemplifies the following principle: Good food begins with unpolluted air, land, and water, environmentally sustainable farming and fishing, and humane animal husbandry.
* Amy Bodiker, Principal, Bodiker Consulting, LLC, Columbus, OH. 2011 Pioneers Table Awardee.
* Rick Bayless, Chef/Owner, Frontera, Topolobampo, XOXO restaurants, Chicago, IL. Chefs Collaborative Advisory Board member. 2010 Pioneers Table Awardee.
* Nancy Civetta, Communications Director, Cape Cod Commercial Hook Fishermen's Association, Welfleet, MA.
* Peter Davis, Executive Chef, Henrietta's Table, Cambridge, MA. 2010 Sustainer Awardee.
* Piper Davis, Cuisine Director/Co-Owner, Grand Central Baking Company. Chefs Collaborative Board member.
* Ed Doyle, President and Founder, Real Food Consulting, Inc.
* Rebecca Goldburg, Director of Marine Science, Pew Charitable Trust's Environment Group, New York, NY. Chefs Collaborative Advisory Board Member.
* Maisie Greenawalt, VP of Strategy, Bon Appetit Management Company, Palo Alto, CA.
* Jennifer Hall, General Manager, SustainableHire, Bellevue, WA.
* Sam Hayward, Chef/Owner, Fore Street, Portland, ME. 2011 Sustainer Award.
* Fred Kirschenmann, Distinguished Fellow, the Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture, Ames, IA. Chefs Collaborative Advisory Board Member.
* Chris Koetke, Executive Director, Kendall College School of Culinary Arts. Vice President, Laureate International Universities Center of Excellence in Culinary Arts, Chicago, IL. 2010 Pathfinder Awardee.
* Michael Leviton, Chef/Owner, Lumiere in Newton MA and chef/Co-Owner, Area Four, Cambridge MA. Chair, Chefs Collaborative Board.
* Theresa Marquez, Chief Mission Officer, Organic Valley, La Farge, WI.
* Dan McGovern, Publisher, Sustainable Food News, Portland, ME.
* Nicolette Hahn Niman, Attorney and Livestock Rancher, Bolinas CA.
* Bob Perry, Coordinator and Chef, Food Systems Initiative, College of Agriculture, University of Kentucky. Chefs Collaborative Board Member.
* Tracey Ryder, President and CEO, Edible Communities, Santa Barbara, CA. Chefs Collaborative Board Member.
* Robin Schempp, President, Right Stuff Enterprises, Waterbury, VT. 2011 Pioneers Table Awardee.
* Jane Black, Journalist, Huntington, WV
* Awards Committee is established: Piper Davis, Cuisine Director/Co-Owner, Grand Central Baking Company, Portland, OR; Maisie Greenawalt, VP of Strategy, Bon Appetit Management Company, Palo Alto, CA; Jennifer Hall, General Manager, SustainableHire, Bellevue, WA; Bob Perry, Coordinator and Chef, Food Systems Initiative, College of Agriculture, University of Kentucky.
* A call for nominations announced to Chefs Collaborative members via email May 16. All nominations must be peer nominated - someone working within the food system nominating a peer.
* Nominations due to the Awards Committee by June 6.
* Awards committee selects finalists by mid July.
* Awards Judges will review nominees and select an awardee in each category by end of July.
* Nominees will be notified by late July and then announced to media.
* Awards will be announced and presented at the Chefs Collaborative Awards Lunch on Tuesday, September 30, during the National Summit in New Orleans.