A SUSTAINABLE PAST… A CLEAR PATH FORWARD
Sustainability has become such a hot topic and an important practice for everyone. At Clear Springs Foods, we’re dedicated to the production of high-quality, wholesome aquacultured products and committed to sustainable resource use and environmental protection that’s unparalleled in the rainbow trout industry.
Today, rainbow trout is recommended as a “Best Choice” on many seafood watch lists and is listed on the exclusive “Super Green List” of the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch program. And, as the nation’s largest Rainbow Trout producer, we pride ourselves on operating 10 state-of-the-art rainbow trout farms which support vertical integration to ensure superior quality control.
To ensure wholesomeness, it is critical to receive and discharge high-quality waters. All of the water flowing into our facilities has been naturally purified in an underground porous lava rock aquifer. This pure, oxygenated spring water flows at a constant 58° year-round. We regularly test the water, before it enters the farms and after, to ensure that safety and environmental health is maintained.
Sustainability efforts are supported by our state-of-the-art Research and Development Center which monitors water quality in the springs and the Snake River and provides an array of fish health services to the farms. We are dedicated to maintaining an active research program directed at further reducing environmental impact and promoting sustainable practices.
Our proactive, ongoing sustainable efforts also include:
- Planning to further reduce our environmental footprint through a company-wide continuous process improvement program.
- Ensuring that our plant facilities are regularly inspected by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), US Department of Commerce (USDC) and third party auditors to ensure food safety, product quality and consumer expectations.
- Manufacturing our own feed and striving to purchase fish meal from certified sustainable fisheries. Our research is focused on discovering suitable plant based proteins to diminish the need for fish meal.
- Managing our waste stream through the manufacture of liquid Clear Organic® fertilizer, manure composting and supplying an ingredient for pet food production.
- Maintaining our good fish welfare practices throughout the growing process.
- Continuing our netting equipment above fish runways, resulting in non-lethal, bird- friendly predator exclusion.
Learn more about our ongoing sustainable practices at clearsprings.com.