The Women Who Inspire Awards recognize women who have demonstrated excellence and innovation in the dining room, kitchen, baking and pastry arts, beverage profession, farming and food production, community affairs, as well as for a lifetime of culinary excellence. Nora Pouillon, chef/owner of Restaurant Nora--America's first certified organic restaurant--in Washington, D.C., will receive the Genesis Award. WCR created the Genesis Award, which has only been given out once before, to recognize a woman who has achieved a true "first" in the culinary profession.
Here are the Women Who Inspire Awards and their finalists:
WCR Barbara Tropp President's Award, sponsored by American Roland Food Corp., recognizes a woman who has made exceptional and lasting contributions to the foodservice industry.
- Margrit Biever, vice president of cultural affairs, Robert Mondavi Winery, Napa Valley, Calif.
- Jesse Ziff Cool, chef/owner, CoolEatz Restaurants and Catering, Menlo Park, Calif.
- Judy Wicks, president, White Dog Enterprises Inc., Philadelphia
- Gina Puzzanghera, director, The Nourishing Kitchen of New York City
- Linda Vogler, culinary arts director, D.C. Central Kitchen
- Heather Chittum, pastry chef, Hook, Washington, D.C.
- Kate Jansen, pastry chef/owner, Willow, Arlington, Va.
- Ina Pinkney, chef/owner, Ina’s Kitchen, Chicago
- Ellen Gray, general manager/owner, Equinox, Washington, D.C.
- Patricia Koyich, co-owner, Il Sogno, Calgary, Canada
- Shelley Lindgren, wine director/co-owner, A16 and SPQR restaurants, San Francisco
- Dee Ann Quinones, sommelier, Susan Feniger's STREET, Los Angeles
- Ann Tuennerman, founder, Tales of the Cocktail, New Orleans
- Moie Crawford, farmer/co-owner, New Morning Farm, Hustontown, Pa.
- Susan Soorenko, founder/owner, Moorenko's Ice Cream, Silver Spring, Md.
- Cindy West, cheesemaker/owner, Hillsborough Cheese Co., Hillsborough, N.C.
- Gabrielle Hamilton, chef/owner, Prune, New York City
- Ris Lacoste, chef/owner, Ris, Washington, D.C.
- Cindy Wolf, executive chef/owner, Charleston Restaurant, Baltimore