The Golden Spurtle competition is held every year in Carrbridge Iverness Shire in Northern Scotland. Bob’s Red Mill first competed in the championship in 2009, becoming the first American representatives to do so. That year, they won the coveted Golden Spurtle and the title of World’s Best Oats (a spurtle is a Scottish kitchen tool dating back to the 15th century that is traditionally used to stir porridge and prevent it from becoming lumpy).The world title is awarded to the porridge-maker deemed to have made the best traditional porridge using oatmeal, salt and water. Now, the company is looking for assistance in winning its first title in the Specialty Section, which is for porridge that includes any additional ingredients.
To enter the contest, visit www.SparForTheSpurtle.com to submit a video demonstration of an original recipe that makes use of Bob’s Red Mill Steel Cut Oats. Videos should be no longer than three minutes and should demonstrate a creative use of the oats. Dishes can be sweet or savory – they just need to be able to be created from start to finish within 30 minutes.
The videos will be posted on www.SparForTheSpurtle.com where fans will be able to vote for their favorites. The top three contestants will be selected as the finalists to be flown to Portland for the live cook-off. Finalists will also receive a behind-the-scenes tour of the Bob’s Red Mill facility led by Bob Moore himself.
During the live 30-minute cook-off, the three finalists will prepare their oatmeal recipes from scratch for a panel of celebrity judges in conditions that mirror those of the Golden Spurtle competition. The winner will receive an all-expenses-paid trip for two to Scotland, including $2,500 in cash, to compete in the 18th Annual Golden Spurtle World Porridge Making Championship.
Based on the video submissions, three finalists will be chosen to receive the ultimate trip for Bob’s Red Mill fans. The finalist prize package includes:
- Roundtrip airfare to Portland, Oregon
- Three-nights’ accommodations at a downtown Portland hotel
- A tour of Bob’s Red Mill led by company founder Bob Moore
- A gift basket filled with Bob’s Red Mill products and merchandise
- $100 Bob’s Red Mill Gift Card
- A spot in the live cook-off for a chance at the Grand Prize
- $100 for cook-off supplies
- Round-trip airfare for two to Scotland to help represent the Bob’s Red Mill team at the 18th annual Golden Spurtle World Porridge Making Championship in October 2011
- Two nights’ accommodations in Edinburg, three nights’ accommodations in Carrbridge (for two)
- Rail transportation between Edinburgh and Carrbridge
- $2500 cash