Morgan (pictured, below), a recipient of the bronze service medal, is chef and senior enlisted aide to General Martin E. Dempsey of the U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command at Fort Monroe, Va. He has served on the U.S. Army Culinary Arts Team since 1997 as a pastry chef and advisor. The team won gold and silver medals at the 1998 Culinary World Cup in Luxembourg; was named world champions in the military category at the Internationale Kochkunst Ausstellung (IKA), or "culinary Olympics," in Erfurt, Germany, in 2000; and earned a gold medal in hot food and cold food, placing second overall, at the 2008 IKA. Morgan also was named the 2000 Army Chef of the Year.
"Mark brings a vast amount of experience in international culinary competition to the team and will be a huge asset," Steve Jilleba, CMC, CCE, AAC, corporate executive chef for Unilvever Foodsolutions, Lisle, Ill., and ACF Culinary Team USA manager, in a statement. "We are proud to welcome him as we get ready to compete in November at the Culinary World Cup in Luxembourg."
Morgan joins six other chefs on the team, who are:
- Timothy Bucci, CEC, CCE, CHE, associate professor, Joliet Junior College, Joliet, Ill.
- Ben Grupe, sous chef, Old Warson Country Club, St. Louis
- Joseph Leonardi, CEC, executive chef, Somerset Club, Boston; ACF Culinary Team USA captain
- Timothy Prefontaine, CEC, executive chef, The Fort Worth Club, Fort Worth, Texas
- Kevin Storm, CEC, CCA, AAC, executive chef, Bellerive Country Club, St. Louis
- Eddie Tancredi, sous chef, The Greenbrier, White Sulphur Springs, W. Va.